[rescue] Q: Regarding 411 boxes (tape drive/Open Front)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 11:02:46 CDT 2001

So, I took out the 150 Meg QIC tape drive, and went to slide in a
surplus Toshiba 2x or 4x drive in it, and got frustrated... It is in,
and it is working, but I must have made some simple mistake...

First off, getting the old drive out was easy, but there were problems
wiring the drive inside the case:

    The SCSI ID cable had the wrong side grounded (either SCSI ID #4
    on the switch was seen as #1, or I would get SCSI ID #7, rendering
    the bus useless). I wound up hardwiring the SCSI ID to #6.

    The Power connector was too short - the wires spanning the SCSI
    connector board and the power plug on the back of the drive didn't
    allow for the drive to slide in, as the power cable wouldn't reach
    the other side of the case. I had to fashion an "extension" of sorts

    using a PC power splitter (one female, two male power plugs).

    FInally, the SCSI connector was Upside down, so I had to "flip" the
    connecter board by removing the 4 screws around the two SCSI
    connecotrs on the back. When I flipped the connector board, the
    power connector on the SCSI board was pinching the SCSI ID
    jumper (but since I had to remove it anyway (see above), that
    was not a serious problem.

Is this how other folks are swapping out CD-ROMs for old tape drives?

Ken
(PS - Best Buy is having a sale on Philips CD-RW drives, IDE - useful
for folks with ide-based Suns, or PCs and want to burn their own Solaris
CD images. They cost $69.95, plus sales tax, and there is a $40 rebate.
That is *quite* cheap, and Philips is a well-known name. See
www.hot-deals.org for further information...)