[[rescue] flamewar question: Perl]

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 05:17:08 CDT 2001

Amazingly, that is (to my mind) the most important thing you could learn in
college (or elsewhere in th eIT field) - how to document!

I also feel that a Programmers first year or so should be spent in
Maint.Programming an existing system, not developing new code that will be
supported by someone else... You need to learn what is need to support the full
life cycle of an application, not just the initial roll-out...

Oh, and Miant. Programmers should be paid the same as new code developers -
there should not be the stigma attached with maint. programming (at least that
was the way the industry was when I was programming, I don't think it changed
much in the last 10 years or so...)

Ken