[[rescue] flamewar question: Perl]

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 12:20:28 CDT 2001

>         And Perl doesn't have to be 10 lines of magic at a time. I like taking
> the perspective that its C minus lots of memory management clutter.

Very few C programs have "lots of memory management clutter".  Perhaps
you mean "minus having to be careful about pointers and array sizes"?

True, that's the only part of C that is "hard", but if you think about it each
time to declare or use a variable, It's a piece of cake.

Another benefit of C is that it encourages you to write maintainable code.
Perl on the other hand, encourages you to write unmaintainable code.
Of course you could do it either way in each language but I let the
vast majority of examples speak for themselves.

KL