[rescue] flamewar question: Perl

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 09:50:11 CDT 2001

> Personally, I think Perl is a flaming pile of crap, and I don't use it

i agree!

> unless I absolutely have to.  Just because Larry Wall writes a lot about
> programming language design, etc. doesn't mean that he knows WTF he is
> doing.

i don't think anyone knows WTF they are doing, does away with a lot of this
sort of nonsense. :)

> Wait for the arguments about how "so many people use it", "there are modules
> for everything" etc. - the same argument MSFT fart catchers use as to why
> you should have Windows NT or 2K as a server.

i hate the module system.  i wanted to use the irc-like client to the perlmonk's
chat server (why oh why couldn't those jackasses just use something sane like
irc, you SEE what perl does to people if taken too far?) and in order to use it
i need to install about 15 modules.  no thanks.  not interested.  i could see
maybe one or two, but 15 is right out.  and have you looked at the code in the
average perl module found on CPAN??  to use the quote of the week, it mostly
looks like it was written by deformed crack monkeys.

> There are better scripting languages, two that come to mind are Python and
> TCL.

mmmmmmmm, TCL, haven't touched that in years.  slap TK on it and you have a
very quick and easy X app builder.  haven't messed with Python yet, but
everyone i know who uses it raves about it.

-brian