[[rescue] flamewar question: Perl]

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 09:11:31 CDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Bill - if you are looking for a solid language to learn, have you "done C" yet?
> The ORA Practical C book is very good (Steve Oaline (sp?), developer of vim, the
> One True editor),a s is the original Programming in C by Kernigan & Ritchie.

	I think you've missed the point because of this suggestion. If
somebody asks whether they should learn perl, its usually not been for things
C is good at :)

	And Perl doesn't have to be 10 lines of magic at a time. I like taking
the perspective that its C minus lots of memory management clutter.

	Perl features are like alcohol. Used responsibly its fun, used
recklessly and you will be in for a hangover =P

	Bad programming habits and whether a language should not allow them
are another flame war.

	Tugrul Galatali