[[rescue] flamewar question: Perl]

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 07:51:19 CDT 2001

I side with Dave McGuire on this - PERL is, um, not very intuitave IMHO.

I took a *class* on PERL, and it degenerated into "show and tell" - "see these
ten lines, they do some really neat things, but I had no idea how it did it, so I
spent several hours pulling it apart nad finally 'got it'..."

Geez, it was better than the other language I "learned" - Java.

I think my brain only handles ALGOL-inspired languages...

I consider PERL to be somewhere between Assembler and programming in Microsoft
BASIC byte-code (where each keyword mapped to a single byte value). It can be
done, it can be powerful, but god help the person who comes after you to support
it.

Bill - if you are looking for a solid language to learn, have you "done C" yet?
The ORA Practical C book is very good (Steve Oaline (sp?), developer of vim, the
One True editor),a s is the original Programming in C by Kernigan & Ritchie.

PERL is (IMHO) a hack language, and while great things can be done with it, I'll
stick with the "classics".

Ken
(There, did I flame the fires enough? ;^)