[rescue] doubt regarding wireles ethernet...

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 09:04:14 CDT 2001

Narendran--
Actually there are two problems here:
1.  You have two transceivers that have serial
	communications ports (I'm assuming RS-232)
	and you want to hook those to your
	Ethernet ports--given the differences in
	everything from timing schemes to voltage
	levels to...well, everything, you would
	need another system in between to provide
	the ethernet-to-serial interface.

	The obvious correct answer is to hook the
	radio transceivers up to two computers using
	serial connections and run PPP over the link,
	as David describes.  You need TCP/IP over
	serial, and PPP will (in my experience) be
	the best answer (combining ease of setup,
	low $$$, and reasonable throughput/bandwidth).

2.  You posted this question to the Sun Rescue
	mailing list, where it's really off topic.
	We're generally a helpful bunch, but don't
	be surprised if you get few responses.

Please feel free to contact me (or other respondents)
off list if you have more questions.

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer, SAIC CIST