[rescue] recommended: Final Fantasy movie

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 15 22:47:37 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 05:16:04PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> The limitations we ran into with BMRT are probably a bit unique. We were
> trying to render 4k frames at 16bit color. We ended up using the Maya,
> Houdini and Max renderers. They got the job done. I don't see us moving away
> from Max/Maya/Houdini until something better comes around, and I would think
> it would take a while before an OS project could match any of them.

That would do it.  Does Pixar even work at that resolution?  I got the
impression somewhere that they worked at 2k.  Couldn't tell you what bit
depth.

> We do visual effects and post production for film and commercials. Our
> biggest (and coolest) project so far is the explosion at the beginning of
> Swordfish. Massive bullet-time like sequence. It took 8 months. Lots of CG
> elements all photo realistic.

So, has your company looked at all in investing in the Gimp?  I guess a
few other companies are investing in it.  Personally, for what I'd like to
see, I think a fresh start is probably needed.  But, maybe 2.0 will be
flexible enough at handling video.  It still isn't anywhere near being set
in stone.

Your company sounds like a place I might like to work (not that they would
yet have any reason to consider hiring me).  I think I might be heading
towards working in smaller shops that are just large enough to need a few
programmers for custom effects work.  I'd love to work at Buf.

I don't have anything to show though.  I'm spend a lot of time studying
theory to be able to write me own graphics software (both for 2D effects
and 3D stuff), but I have very little access to how things are really
done.  I just make up my theories, write them down, then wait till I have
the skills to code them (which I'm also working hard as I can around a
job and a little bit of a social life).

--
Joshua D. Boyd