[rescue] can you beleive I do this as a *HOBBY*?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 17:01:48 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:22:39PM -0500, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Ok, as someone who only ever saw 11's through the glass while watching
> my parents hand over thier college class card decks or as unused scrap
> at my tech school (just before I got there they upgraded to a pair of
> 3B1's driving more serial terms than I think ATT ever intended... ;')

bah.  that's too bad, the PDP-11 RULES.

> So for all the serious DEC folk here, if I were I to start looking for
> real, what would be a good PDP-11 version (and related eq. specs too)
> that would run BSD 2.11? (I say this as I know unix - I don't know the
> DEC OS's. I'd rather something I can keep running than something too
> cool for me to ken.)

well, the only requirement for 2.11 is that you need split I/D cache.  i'm not
entirely sure which CPUs that encompases, so someone else will have to list
CPUs that meet that requirement.

2.9 on the other hand does not have that restriction and so will run on just
about every PDP-11 greater than or equal to the 11/23.  there may be exceptions
though.

memory requirements are 1MB for 2.11 and 192K for 2.9

the only cavet i can think of is disks.  i know 2.11 understands MSCP and so
will work with just about any controller as long as it speaks MSCP, but i don't
know if 2.9 has MSCP support or not (it's not specifically mentioned that i
noticed)

also, keep in mind that 2BSD != 4BSD.  :)

-brian