[Re: [rescue] Re: Alcohol]

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 09:41:13 CDT 2001

Well I don't much care for the politics of the Old Bushmills distillery
(they provide financial support to the orange order), I find their best
whiskey to be better than the best Jamie.

The normal 'Black Bush' is only 8 years old, and it hasn't really had enough
time to mellow properly. There are two versions of the 1608, the normal 12
year old version, and the 16 year old three wood. First it's aged in
American bourbon barrels,  then it's transferred to Spanish sherry butts,
and finally to French oak Port wine barrels, before it's finally bottled.

The Best Jameson's is the 'Jameson limited edition' which is aged in sherry
butts for 15 years as well. It's excellent, and very clean tasting but
doesn't have the nice complex flavours I like in the 1608 Bushmills. It's
also incredibly difficult to get a hold of as they export more than 90% of
what they make. The best Jamie you can actually get most of the time is the
Jameson's 1780 12 year old. It's very good, has kind of a honey flavour to
it actually, but once again not as good as the 1608.

Oh and I wouldn't call Jameson's 'southern Ireland', since they are in
Dublin, which is the east-central portion of the Republic of Ireland. The
republic is only referred to as 'the south' by the folks in 'the north'

Now if you want a real southern Irish whiskey you have Middleton reserve 12
year old, distilled in Clonakilty, Co. Cork. It's probably the best whiskey
in the Republic (far better than Jameson's). They only distil about 5000
bottles a year, and they package them in a wood presentation box, and hand
sign and number them.

Chris Byrne