[rescue] interesting geek toy

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 12 22:27:43 CDT 2001

Well, as I recall the old 1934 Communication Act stated
that you were not to intercept a message and deliver it
to the intended receiptent before it arrived by the
usual means (as in a telegraph message where one link
was the radio) and you were not to make money from the
interception of a radio signal.  By these rules it is
NOT illegal to receive cell phone calls on a receiver so
they made it illegal to make equipment that could
receive those frequencies.  The cell phone companies
tried to change those rules but failed.  It is also not
illegal to receive satellite TV or the microwaved cable
signals which are sent to cable companies.  That's why
they scramble them now.  I guess the idea is that if the
radio signal crosses your property, you can receive it (
with restrictions).