[rescue] on the subject of the 4D/xx...

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 00:36:15 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:57:56PM -0500, Dan Debertin wrote:
> The thing that's nagging me is that not only does the 4D refuse to boot
> from it, but IRIX also spits out the same errors when I try to mount the
> drive. So, it doesn't sound like a blocksize issue to me at all, but
> something of a SCSI-ish nature.

The machine is old enough that some of the issues with the SCSI spec might
not have been resolved at that time.

> If I boot into IRIX, even then the drive is not usable:
> WARNING: wd93 Bus=0 ID=6 LUN=0: SCSI cmd=0x0
> 	timeout after 5 sec. Resetting SCSI bus.
>
> And yet, 'hinv' reports a SCSI CDROM at ID 6, so it sees *something*
> there. wtf.

The sense code that comes back from a SCSI inquiry command is pretty simple.
So hinv would see it properly if the device simply sent back one or two
bytes (whatever the size of the response is).

What is expected and what is coming back is however different when it tries
to go beyond that.

I know, I am stating the obvious here.

I have an internal Toshiba SCSI CDROM drive either 1x or 2x that is supposed
to work with Suns and SGI's  -I believe I used it on the old R3K Indigo I
owned.

You want it?

./patrick