[rescue] on the subject of the 4D/xx...

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 23:22:19 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:57:56PM -0500, Dan Debertin wrote:

> If I boot into IRIX, even then the drive is not usable:
> WARNING: wd93 Bus=0 ID=6 LUN=0: SCSI cmd=0x0
> 	timeout after 5 sec. Resetting SCSI bus.

hmmm, quick guess would be the CD-ROM isn't responding to SCSI commands in a
way that IRIX is expecting it to.  interesting.

> And yet, 'hinv' reports a SCSI CDROM at ID 6, so it sees *something*
> there. wtf.

does it give you ROM info off of the CD-ROM?  IDENTIFY works in that case. so
it's most likely a "non-standard" device that requires special handling (ie:
we're gonna use the SCSI bus, but screw those standards thingies)

hhmmmmm,  i'll plug my Plextor UltraPlex that i use on my sparc20 into the 4D
when i get a chance (maybe tomorrow?) and let you know what happens.

-brian