[rescue] on the subject of the 4D/xx...

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 18:03:02 CDT 2001

> > Which drive do you have? Caddy loader or tray loader?
>
> This is a caddy-loaded model, Sony. 'hinv -v' from the PROM _does_ see a
> CDROM drive there, and lights go on when I start the installation. Then I
> start to get SCSI-related errors. At least, I *think* they were
> SCSI-related. I'll have to get home and try it again to get the exact
> message.

Ack! As I figured. I don't know what the issue is with that drive but neither
SGI or HP boxes seem to like those drives even though they are supposed to be
512 byte block and are for sure Sun bootable.

I have had good experience with the Sun 2x tray loader (Toshiba XM-4101B) on
other than Sun machines.

I have also seen the SGI machines complain about the Plextor drives but the
install seems to go well enough anyway :)

-Mike N