[rescue] What do you guys think about this 4D/35

Big Endian rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 16:18:45 CDT 2001

>Well, I'm starting to see for $50 more a few hours ago you coulda had an
>Indigo2 Elan.  And Indigos are constantly selling for under $100 these
>days as well.  Not to mention Indys (mainly of the r4k and r4.6k
>varieties). I want a 4D, but if you want to actually use the machine, you
>probably should hold out for something else.  Preferably something with at
>least 64megs of ram and the ability to run Irix 6.5 (I don't know how good
>6.4 is, 6.2 has some major annoyances for me in that it uses an older
>version of OpenGL).
>
>--
>Joshua Boyd
>
>On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Chad Fernandez wrote:
>
>>  It has no bids.  Is $90 too much for one of these?  I know they aren't
>>  very fast, but that seems like a lot of memory, and I have wanted an
>>  SGI.  I don't have the mega-bux to spend on a newer faster machine, that
>>  would be just for fun.
>>
>>  I emailed the guy about shipping/size and weight.   The cheapest price
>>  for shipping was Parcel Post at $35.85.  He only have me USPS prices,
>>  not UPS.
>>
>>  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1252568833
>>
>>  Chad Fernandez
>>  Michigan, USA

6.4 is buggy as hell I hear and it was primarily a spot release to
support the Octane/Origin machines.  You want either 6.2 or 6.5.
I've seen Indigo2 R10ks with 256mb of ram go for <$500 if you want a
real deal but for cheap go for any indigo2 with 64mb or more of ram.
I use that my self with irix 6.2.  It works ok but I could REALLY use
some OS cds (and a MIPSPro license/cd set while I'm dreaming).  I'm
moving up to an octane because I need more horsepower on the both cpu
and graphics but the indigo2 is a FABULOUS machine for an SGI newbie.

daniel