[rescue] Cheap UPSs

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 8 14:57:39 CDT 2001

I've been putting off buying a UPS for a long time because I wanted to
wait to get one that could tell the computer to turn itself off.  Well,
my parents are increasingly desperate for a file/print (mainly print)
server in their office (unfortunatly, they require it be Windows, since
they want something they understand enough to get themselves out of
trouble if I at work and things come up).  Well, I went to the locals to
buy a nice insured spike protector, and found that the APC Back UPS 350
(looks like an oversized power strip) was $5 (yep $5, not $50 or anything
like that) more, so I bought it for $50 instead of the strip that cost $45.
After all, according to the box, it should be able to go about 10 minutes
before it powers down, and that should usually be enough when the power
blinks out.

Well, I get it home, open it, and find that this cheap little unit comes
with the software and serial cable to be able to shut down the computer
connected to it.  Presumably it speaks the standard APC protocol and as
such will work with Suns or SGIs.  This is really cool.

Anyway, just thought people might be interested in the new useful bargain
I found.  I'm going to have to look into getting one of these for the DSL
box and one for my file server and maybe even one for my workstation.

--
Joshua Boyd