[rescue] Re: [SunRescue] Apple Network Server

Phillip L. Harbison rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 8 13:15:55 CDT 2001

mike dombrowski <legodude at home.net> wrote:
> I've managed to convince myself that I can't live without an Apple
> Network Server 500 or 700 ...

I understand and share your affinity for the ANS.

> I could put a Sun logo on it and then really confuse people. "Hey
> phil, look at my new mac"

I did not realize we had met [:-)] but now that you mention is, that
isn't such a bad idea.  I have been contemplating using the chassis
of a SPARCserver 670MP as the new home for a bunch of VME cards with
PowerPC G4 processors.  That would certainly confuse people!

> It's easily the coolest product apple ever made, I just have no
> idea where to get something like this.

I have a few ANS-500's that I'm replacing with ANS-700's.  Let me
know if you're interested.  I'll probably list them on the ANS User
Group web site as soon as the ANS-700's are online.

  ANSUG: http://www.xavax.com/ans/

Greg Woods wrote:
> But they run NetBSD now, and they are Apple manufactured.

Where can I find out more about this?  I'm planning to try out Linux
and MkLinux on a spare ANS and would like to try NetBSD too.

> I'd sure take one if I could find one cheap enough....

See above.  How cheap is cheap enough?  Basic ANS-500's seem to be
going for about $500 lately on eBay.  ANS-700's and more robust
configurations are a bit more.

Dave Rouse wrote:
> Those are great cases and own one (700/1500) myself, but a word (or
> two) of warning:
>
> 1) The version of AIX is 4.1.4 and isn't totally Y2K. [...]

I have the AIX 4.1.5 update CD and will be happy to make copies as
soon as I get my CD burner installed.

> 3) Linux support is spotty. I haven't myself bothered trying it.

This seems to be improving rapidly.

> 4) Beware key problems, you have to have the case closed to power
> it up and if the keys malfunction that can be a problem.

I've disassembled the case before.  It would not be too difficult
to bypass the front key switch.  I don't think the machine will
boot unless the rear key is in the locked.  The Apple TIL has an
article on how to get new keys, etc.  You'll find a link to it on
the ANSUG web site.

> 5) Spares are nearly impossible,

Sadly, this is true.  However, there have been quite a few spares
offered on eBay recently.  I've bought 200 MHz upgrade cards for
all my systems and paid between $50 and $100 per card.  Someone
was selling RAID cards for $100 each.  Parity DIMMs are difficult
to find and EXPENSIVE but I've heard the non-parity DIMMs used in
the 8500/9500 PowerMacs will work.  Of course you lose ECC.  One
of the best ways to get spares is just to buy an ANS on eBay and
canibalize it.  I recently bought the guts of an ANS-700 from a
fellow in Denmark.

> I was quoted a 10/100 BaseT card for more than $400. Anyone know
> where I can get a better price? (I'd like to start a fast ethernet
> suubnet at home).

I found one source that quoted a cheaper price but then they did
not have any stock.  I've heard the cards supported by IBM on PCI
RS6000's will work, and that LinuxPPC supports other cards.  Your
best bet is to watch eBay.  Just don't outbid me! :-)

--
Phil Harbison
mailto:alvitar at xavax.com