[rescue] PowerMac RAM/VRAM?

Sam Creasey rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 7 16:57:34 CDT 2001

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 03:34:47PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > > You can use DIMMs from a SS4/SS5 in these if you have any floating around.
> > > The Sun DIMMs have parity but the PowerMacs will just ignore it.
> >   I have never gotten SS5 memory to work in a 7500...I've tried many
> > of them.  You've had better luck?
> >         -Dave McGuire
>
> On the same topic, right now I've got a Sun 21" multisync plugged
> into the PM via a mac-DB15-to-HD15M cable from an old CTX monitor.
> However, it only comes up at 640x480 - apparently the cable is
> missing some sense pins.. Any way to *force* it into a higher
> resolution using this cable?  It only lists 640x480 under the
> monitors control panel.

You might be able to short the sense pins yourself with some kind of
hand-built pile-o-wires, but I'd recommend against it, particularly after
the last time I saw the pinout (including the "extended sense codes")
online.

I just went and blew the $15 on an adapter with dip switches, and became a
happier man.

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown