[rescue] Appletalk anyone?

David Rouse rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 7 06:24:27 CDT 2001

On Saturday, July 7, 2001, at 02:01 AM, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> Has anybody got a good solution for Appletalk / AFS under Solaris 7?  I
> have never gotten CAP to work, and netatalk looks scary.  I want to
> centralize storage of my MP3's and I can't use my G4 running OS X, as I
> reboot it into 9.1 quite often.

netatalk+asun (so it does AFP over IP) is actually kina nifty -- a very
odd mix of unix and Mac sensibilities (for example; it has text
configuration files, but will change what you have typed if what you
have typed is wrong). There are some issues with aliases, directory IDs,
etc. but so far it has worked fine for me and my MP3 collection. It even
allows me to print from the Suns to a AppleTalk PS printer.

On Solaris it won't route AppleTalk, but that is rarely an issue for
people.

Like some open source projects, the documentation can be a bit vauge but
it is figurable.

--
David Rouse