[rescue] Appletalk anyone?

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jul 7 01:29:41 CDT 2001

 >Has anybody got a good solution for Appletalk / AFS under Solaris 7? I
 >have never gotten CAP to work, and netatalk looks scary. I want to
 >centralize storage of my MP3's and I can't use my G4 running OS X, as I
 >reboot it into 9.1 quite often.
 >Ideas, thoughts, jeers?
It's been a few years since I've played with it, but Sun shipped a version
of Syntax Totalnet with the Solaris 2.6 server media kit (I think it was
2.6).  Even though it requires a license key to use in an enterprise, you
can run it in "demo" mode without supplying a key.  The "demo" restriction
is you can only have 1 concurrent authenticated user connection, but it
does appletalk, smb (cifs or whatever it's now called) and nitware
protocols.  You can have multiple shares mapped fine using the 3 different
protocols on different hosts provided all use the same username to
authenticate.

No idea if it will work on solaris 7, it's a bit convoluted to setup but
does the appletalk stuff quite well, handles all the resource fork crud
etc.  Have a play and let us know if it does what you need, you can't argue
with the price though!

Rob.