[rescue] Solaris 8 on SS20

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 4 20:02:56 CDT 2001

Hello,

First, I hope Bill is OK.

For those who don't keep track of such things, I recently acquired a
SPARCserver 20. For the sake of completeness, it's got 4 50Mhz
processors, 304M of RAM, a 4M VSIMM, one 1.2G hard drive (boot) and one
9G drive.

Trying to load Solaris 8 thereon, the installation dies when it tries to
create the slices. The errors go like so:

Configuring disk (c0t1d0)
	-Creating Solaris disk label (VTOC)

Configuring disk (c0t3d0)
	-Creating Solaris disk label (VTOC)

Creating and checking UFS file systems
	-Creating /usr/openwin (c0t1d0s3)
With a block size of 8192 minimum bytes per inode is 5884
Minimum bytes per inode is 5884
With 16065 sectors oer cylinder, minimum cylinders per group is 16
This requires the fragment size to be changed from 1024 to 4096
Please re-run mkfs with correscted parameters

ERROR: File sysytem creation failed for /usr/openwin (c0t1d0s3)

ERROR: Could not check or create system critical file systems

ERROR: Could not update disks with new configuration

ERROR: System installation failed

More information:
	Log file: /tmp/install_log

So? Ideas? If I could run mkfs by hand, I could do what it wants. But
the installer does everything behind a gui. How do I get around it?

Thanks,

---sambo