[rescue] 3D machines

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 4 12:02:29 CDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> BTW, after nearly a year of fighting with my Lintel machine, I finally got
[...]
> But, this might just be my machine demonstrating why 3DFX deserved to die.
> Afterall, blender on windows on my sisters computer is much faster, and
> she only has a dinky Riva128, and much less memory and CPU power than my
> box.  Sigh.  It is these difficulties with acceleration that make me long
> for an SGI of reasonably recent vintage more than anything else.  At this
> point, even an Indy or 4D might be an improvement, although I think I can
> hold out until either an O2 or Indigo2 Hi Impact are within reach.

	Go get a nVidia based card before knocking 3D acceleration on Lintel :)
It delivers most if not all of the performance you would get under Windows, and
in my experience has been very stable and easy to install.
	Unless of course, you are just itching to get a SGI, and won't give the
Lintel box a fair shot ;)

	I remember two years ago choosing the TNT2 Ultra over my friend's
choice of a Voodoo 3000... I'm still happy with the performance of it. The
first time I thought of replacing it was when my laptop arrived with the
GeForce2 Go... *WOAH* :)
	The only reason not to buy nVidia these days is the Radeon AIW edition.

	Tugrul Galatali