[rescue] Solaris 7 on SPARCclassic

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 4 09:55:33 CDT 2001

Folks-

I recently picked up a SPARCclassic, and I'd like to use it to replace the
LX that I'm using as a multi-purpose network server, so I can use the LX as
a workstation.

So, I have some questions ...

The Classic has 24 MB of memory; can I install Solaris 7 on that?

The intended use is for Samba file serving, NTP server, caching DNS server,
and mailserver on a low-volume, 3-user network.  The LX (128 MB RAM) does
very well at this; will the 24 MB Classic suck?  Should I use my old IPX
with 64 MB RAM instead?

The Classic's OBP seems to be version 2.9, BTW, which seems to imply boot
partitions up to 2 gigs. Is that correct?

The backup device is a 2-gig HP DAT tape, so I want to limit partitions to 2
gigs.  I'm planning a 4.5-gig drive and a minimal Solaris installation.
I've previously done "all one partition" set-ups, on smaller disks, but this
time I'd like to have separate partitions for /, /tmp, /var, and one for the
users' home directories. Izzat reasonable?

Since I'll be setting up the Classic just like the LX, except for the disk
size and the partitioning scheme, can I just back up the LX to tape, do a
minimal Solaris install to the Classic, and restore the tape to the Classic?

Thanks for any pointers, hints, or advance condolences.

-Shel
 Columbus, Ohio (at least for another couple of months)

P.S.  I read the list in digest form, so a direct reply (as well as a reply
to the list) would be appreciated.