[rescue] 3D machines

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 4 09:52:55 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:40:04AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> See if the X Inside X server @ xig.com will drive your card.  You may be
> able to download a demo version for free so you can test it out.  I used to
> work for those guys and they have a guru who knows what he is doing.

i've used this server.  a LONG time ago.  it was twice as fast on my Trident
8900c (with 1MB VRAM) as the XFree86 server was.  it was nearly THREE TIMES
as fast as Xfree86 on my Tseng Labs 4000 based card.  it's worth the money if
you've got it to spare, these guys know PC video hardware.

> My guess is that the gurus at SGI know more about OpenGL than the XFree86
> guys do.

well, considering where GL came from in the first place i would sure hope so. :)

> It took a few years until the OGL code on Wintel became optimized too-and
> Microsoft spent some developer time on improving it.

and then completely dumped support for it in windows 2000.  wankers.

> Plus the O2 has a better bus and chips that were chosen for a level of
> OpenGL performance. The Wintel 3D cards weren't designed for OGL, but for 3D
> games.

you can get PC cards that do this as well, but they cost a lot, and aren't very
good at non GL games.  Evens and Sutherland (www.es.com) and AccelGraphics both
come to mind, although AccelGraphics seems to have been completely absorbed by
Evens and Sutherland.

cheers,

-brian