[rescue] Netapp

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 18:50:24 CDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 03:39:38PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >
> > They use one controller, with multiple IDE channels, each drive is on its
> > own separate channel from any other drive; thus, there is no bus contention
> > (if you load up a bunch of high end SCSI drives on just one SCSI chain,
> > your bandwidth can get used up by talking to each separate drive) .
>
> but isn't the big deal here that only one IDE device can talk at a time whereas
> all SCSI devices can talk at any time?  maybe that has changed about IDE, but
> i remember one of the old arguments against IDE (granted this was a while ago)
> was the bus hogging characteristic.

Only one IDE device per chanel can talk at the same time.  If you have a
smart controller, and only place one drive per chanel, then IDE isn't that
bad.  The only remaining problem then is the fact that most IDE drives are
the ones that didn't pass quality to be scsi.  Or so I'm told.

--
Joshua Boyd