[rescue] Looking for servers and net equip in Ireland/UK

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 10:33:16 CDT 2001

The phrase comes from the way a network diagram drawn to represent the
configuration looks.

Basically a layer three switch allows you to create logically segmented
(common signal isolated) virtual LAN's commonly called VLANs. The problem
with that is if machines one vlan need to talk to machines on another vlan,
even on the same switch, they can't without a little extra going on.

The solution is to provide some kind of routing between vlans. There are two
ways of doing that, either internal to the switch, which is fast, reliable,
all is good and holy etc... etc... or you can send the packets out to a
router, either by having a port of the router connected to each vlan, or by
having a single trunked (or isl) port sending data up to the router, hence
router on a stick. It's slow, resource inefficient, wastes at least one port
on the switch and one on the router, and is generally bad and unholy etc...
etc...

Oh and of course it means you need to buy a router that can do it anyway,
thus increasing the overall cost to the point where you should have just
bought a switch that can do it itself.

Chris Byrne