[rescue] Re: (cheap PPro systems - dual-capable but memory unobtainium?)

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 10:21:37 CDT 2001

On 3 Jul 2001, Marc ZYNGIER wrote:

> Rip> Actually, come to think of it (and to have the ObSun in here)
> Rip> wouldn't all the old smaller U5/U10 memory DIMMs work in these
> Rip> PPro systems?
>
> At least, U5/U10 32MB DIMMs  are working fine on my dual PPRO Nec
> system. As usual, YMMV.

Boards like the PR440FX and W6-Li work well with the Ultra 5/10 memory (my
main machine here is a Providence running with 256MB of it). Some other
boards, especially the ones in certain HP Vectra and Dell Optiplex
systems, require the other expensive $3/MB stuff. I tried to order some
from Crucial a year and a half back and my order drifted into the aether.
They never restocked the stuff.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows