[rescue] Vax question

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 17:09:41 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 05:19:55PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> There is a vax 4000-300 in the next cubicle.  Unfortunatly, touching it is
> in no way, shape, or form part of my job description.

pitty, those 4000 boxes are sweet.  got a few myself.

> Anyway, all day, it has been scrolling this message on the seriel console:
> Retrying network bootstrap.

it's trying to boot off of the network, but nothing is responding.  this could
either be that it's bootserver is gone, or it had a disk fail and when it
flipped over it never found its disk so it's resorting to netbooting.

> Does this mean that someone fubared the machine and that I should keep my
> eyes on the dumpster for another free computer to show up there soon?

if it's a toasted drive, then mostly likely yes, unless they have a dieing need
to keep it around, chances are it uses DSSI disks which aren't exactly common
anymore.

> BTW, this past weekend I have seen nerdvana, and it is McGuire's house.
> That is one sweet pad.

i was in Ocean City, MD over the weekend, but it was getting late sunday, and
so we just came home instead, i almost had my wife talked into going and seeing
it. :)

-brian