[rescue] UPS Recommendations - A True Story

Devin L. Ganger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 15:04:04 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 12:55:40PM -0700, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> From: Devin L. Ganger [mailto:devin at thecabal.org]

> Why, oh why, didn't you unplug the UPSen from the wall???<<

> I've been asking my I just didn't unplug and bring everyone to a halt.  The
> answer is .. I'm dumb.  I believed the guy who said he had it all doped out
> (he sounded competant and confident) and it was easier to believe than to
> ask everyone on site to stop work for a few minutes.  In hindsight, yes, I
> should have brought eveyone/everything down.

Are your systems set to automatically go down when the UPS detects loss
of line voltage?  For tests like that, I'd simply unplug the UPS for the
minute or so it took the electricians to verify that they'd wired things
in correctly, then plug it back in, with no downtime resulting.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
find / -name *base* -exec chown us:us {} \;