[SunRescue] S-plus, GNUcc and cc

Stefan Hames rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 23 09:39:01 CST 2001

Hi,

I'm sure that this is dead obvious, but I can't figure it out. I'm
running sol 7 on a SS5, and I'm trying to add the rpart library to
splus, which requires the C compiler. Ok. I downloaded GNUcc 2.95.2
and installed it in /usr/local.  Now when I do the splus make, it
bombs because /usr/ubc/cc looks for a script  /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc
which is installed by the SUNWspro package, which isn't there since I
didn't elect to spend the $1295. I've set CC=gcc, made the
pathchanges suggested by the author of the library, tried placing a
link to gcc  and naming it /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc, and tried replacing
usr/ubc/cc with a link to gcc as well.  Suffice to say that none of
this worked.

I'm obviously clueless, and frustrated.  Any clues as to how I should
proceed (besides installing BSD :-{ )  ?

TIA,

Stefan
Stefan Hames
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
E221 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2701
Phone: 607-273-4915 (home)
        607-254-2496 (lab)
        607-254-4262 (campus)
        607-255-8088 (fax)