[SunRescue] Sol8 on dummy machines.....

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 21 14:55:49 CST 2001

>>It can't be slower than Solaris 2.4 on my SS1..... can it?

Yes. It can.

I've run several weighty OS/Apps on several different machines.

Win95a - 386DX-33, 16meg.  You can't even imagine how slow.

WinNT 4.0 - 486DX2-66, 16meg.  It wasn't even supposed to run.

NetBSD something or other - 386sx-16, 4meg, PS/1 Business machine.  All
integrated, all slow - all the time.  I actually watched X refresh on this
system.

Mandrake 7 - Pentium 60, 24meg.  It ran.  Until you tried to do something
then it slowed to a crawl in "paging hell".

Debian 2.2.r2 - TI Travelmate 4000M, 24meg, 500meg swap.  I actually managed
to start up StarOffice on this one - after 45 minutes of waiting.

About the only machines that I haven't been able to bog down with an OS and
app are the Sparc boxes.  Even with 16meg of RAM they all seem to be able to
at least be _usable_ under X or CDE (depending on the OS) when configured.
(Although I can't get X to run on an IPX with Debian at the moment - I think
the X server is wrong.  White screen.)

Maybe I'm just weirder than I think.

Mike Hebel