[SunRescue] IRIX and SGI -- OT

Mark Davies rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 15 09:04:37 CST 2001

Hi.

A proper bootable CDROM drive? (I assume yes)

> but there
> is a
> password on the machine.
> It doesn't allow me to log into the machine as anything other
> than the
> admin or guest.

"admin" ??

Can U stop the system on startup (press 'esc') ?
clcik on command line (bottom button??)
If you can get this far, and no passwd is required, then I would suggest
just re-initalizing and mkfs the disk:
If you need help with this, just let me know the SCSI id of the CDROM drive.

if you cannot get to the miniroot then open up the box and power off plug
in:

pull out the dallas chip.
turn it back to front
power on
temp' insert the chip (back to front) for a few seconds
remove and turn everything off.
reinsert the chip
on the back of the computer is a ethernet address something like 69:09:xx:xx
start the computer and stop it.
Go to command line:
type:

setenv nvram -f 69:09:[whatever the remaining numbers are]

reset the machine.

All this is OK on INDY, INDIGO and anything else I've tried, BUT never tried
it on a INDIGO 2

hope this help