[SunRescue] Ultra1

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 13 14:29:56 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   While it's true that my statement was an evil generalization, it was
> based on many years of experience with interacting with dozens of
> technical people within Sun.  I call 'em as I see 'em.  Surely ALL Sun
> employees aren't idiots...but I imagine the best of them are working
> on useful things, not taking phone calls from people in the field!

True, as it is with ANY call center.  Having had to deal with Sun, DEC
(Pre-Compaq), IBM, and SGI service over the years, I can say that, from my
experience, Sun's has been the best.  They're all pretty similar at the
call senter level, but when I've had to "go deep, go long" Sun's done the
best job - All I have to do is compare the 7 DAYS of production DB
downtime because SGI had a bad patch to the quick response I had with the
E10000 problems I dealt with at NCGR.

I will admit that it gets frustrating at times - I can remember (back in
the Sun2/Sun3 days) getting an engineer on the phone in minutes.  Now
there are too many levels for my comfort.

-Pete