[SunRescue] Ultra1

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 13 14:06:09 CST 2001

On February 12, Bill Bradford wrote:
> >   Of course it's not supported.  Not much other than "we sold it this
> > way" configs are.  The poeple that seem to know the least about Sun
> > hardware are Sun employees themselves.
>
> I have to point out here that one bad apple doesent spoil the entire
> bunch; I know a few Sun employees who are VERY knowledgable about the
> entire product line, and hardware whether its "supported" or not...

  While it's true that my statement was an evil generalization, it was
based on many years of experience with interacting with dozens of
technical people within Sun.  I call 'em as I see 'em.  Surely ALL Sun
employees aren't idiots...but I imagine the best of them are working
on useful things, not taking phone calls from people in the field!

  I've had at least a dozen phone conversations with Sun engineers who
have told me "no, that config DEFINITELY WILL NOT WORK" when I was
cheerfully either leaning on or sitting on that very config running in
production at a large ISP.

  In a pinch, when something's broken in the middle of the night, you
do what you have to do.  A good relevant quote is one from the movie
Apollo 13, by flight director Gene Kranz: "I don't care about what it
was DESIGNED to do, I want to know what it CAN do!"

           -Dave McGuire