[SunRescue] Ultra1

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 13 01:30:35 CST 2001

I've successfully transplanted a GX framebuffer from a Sun 4/690 into an
Ultra 2.

I believe the 690 came with the GX (don't ask me why) and we'd never
used it (can't imagine why) until we were doing an upgrade of a Sparc 20
-> Ultra 2 and we couldn't lift the TGX from the 20 until we had the 2
built.

I was told by one of my more experienced workmates at the time that an
Sbus GX was standard issue in the 690, maybe someone with a memory that
extends back to the 80s can confirm?  Maybe it was included when it was
upgraded from a quad Ross to a dual Viking ?

Rob.

PS. I was told today I've won an iPaq Pocket PC thingy in some
competition I didn't know I'd entered.  Should I bother opening the
packaging and playing with the creature, or flog it on eBay?  Is it
likely to impress me enough to make me ditch my Palm Vx?