[rescue] The fat lady. . .

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 15:51:45 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 03:37:04PM -0600, Amy wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
>> Any particular reason why?  I didn't think it would stick out so much to a non
>> major gear head who still likes other unixs.
>
> i suppose it all comes down to preference. i started on one of bill's old
> (now defunct) sparcs (sparc 5 i think, the one he got from wargo) running
> solaris, so i got used to solaris and its little quirks. i'm the type of
> person to not like change of any kind so when i began on linux years ago
> i didnt like the differences (commands, etc).

Hmm.  I too started my unix adventures on Solaris, but I rather liked the
command differences under linux, but adding GNU tools to other systems pretty
much has the same effect.  But for the most part, I just move from one to the
next without thinking about it.  Linux is really the only thing I know how to
administer, though I'm learning NetBSD.  I really only prefer linux because it
has more complete workstation type hardware support on intel and PPC.

> and there's gnome. i dont like gnome. that foot graphic annoys me.

Err, watch out.  Gnome is supposed to become the default desktop for solaris
soon.  I decided that I don't like "desktops", I hate gui file managers, and
I just plain prefer a WindowMaker style dock to the gnome panel although no
dock is also pretty much just fine.

>> I like my SBLive fairly well.  I wish that all the chanels were supported by
>> the linux driver, but oh well.
>
> this was a big part of why i began to despise linux. my sound card didnt
> work. thats a big minus in my book. (i love music)

I've never had trouble getting my SBLive working under linux, but then I've
only had it since summer of 2000.  I just can't get the rear speakers to work,
which doesn't really effect me since I don't have a good place to put rear
speakers anyway, so the lack of support is more being iritated at the principle
of the matter than a real problem for me.  Are lives even supported under BeOS?
I couldn't get mine to work with R4.5, but I never tried 5.  I love music also,
but since I seldom play MP3s, it doesn't take much support to make me happy. I
just require that the driver initialize the card so that the audio pass through
works.

--
Joshua D. Boyd