[rescue] We are stumped... (SSH between Powerbook & Solarisbox)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 14:45:38 CST 2001

Bill, this is geting old - does this all have to be "on list"?

My previous message was how it came across - not her intenrion (I can't
know her intention, but both she and you seem to have no problem
figuring out *my* feelings about her statement).

Wouldn't it have been a less caustic statement if she said something
like "I know this sounds bad, but the *nix for dummies" book has info on
this - take a look"?

It was (and remains) the way it came across, not the pointer to a book.

Ken

On Thursday, December 27, 2001, at 03:35 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 03:16:12PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
>> Amy, I'm not insulted by a reference to a book, but the books you
>> choose
>> to cite are geared towards folks new to *nix. While to you, your
>> suggestion to "read a *nix for dummies book" is the same as "go get the
>> O'Reilly book on SSH and look in there, it is covered in chapters 4-6",
>> it does not read the same on this end.
>> I am not alone on this view/interpretation.
>
> You've obviously never read "UNIX for Dummies".  See my earlier message;
> its not a "for idiots"-type book at all.  As it does have some
> introductory
> material, the rest can be a good reference.
>
> I own a copy.  Probably more than one, if I clean out the garage.
>
> You gonna insinuate that I'm new to *nix?
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> mrbill at mrbill.net