[rescue] We are stumped... (SSH between Powerbook & Solaris box)

Amy rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 13:51:37 CST 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> > i suggest you go pick up a copy of "unix for dummies" or the generic nix
> > manual book from o'reilly and have some quality time in the bathroom
> > this
> > weekend.
>
> What? Are you serious?

yes. why? they're both good, informative books.

> It is my strong suspicion that SSH (a protocol I am only slightly familiar
> with, I admit)

add RTFM to that suggestion list as well.

> Amy, if you are serious, I find your comment a bit insulting, as neither I,
> nor any of the many learned folks on this list who have tried could figure
> out this problem so far, including both Bill and Pete.

<kenhansen> but i was only joking! </kenhansen>

most of the 'many learned folks' on these lists know how to work ssh.
hell, most demand that its how you access their machines. i'm sure i'm not
the only one here who was surprised that you didnt know how to ssh into a
box or whatnot.

they're not used to giving beginning directions. they look for
mountains instead of molehills. i'd wager most of em have read a few basic
books in their time (or continue to reference them) without being 'insulted'.

hell when i asked to learn, bill threw me some books. i see no reason why
they wouldnt help anyone else (unless of course yer too good/smart/bright
to read a basic informative manual).

> I suspect if the answer was as elementary
> as you suggest *one* of them would have caught it by now...

hrm. yanno, its an elementary thing to find one's wallet and checkbook in
the morning but each day in the last 4 years bill, smart guy that he is,
has had me look for both (or his inhaler, his keys, or his glasses in some
form or combination). why? because he couldnt see the little molehills for
the mountain of stuff that had invaded his computer room. [1]

--a

[1] on xmas he sat and read a book on living a clutterfree life. we
cleaned for 6 hours in that one room. he can now find his keys. pictures
before and after coming soon. no iron was hurt in the process.