[rescue] We are stumped... (SSH between Powerbook & Solaris box)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 06:39:13 CST 2001

There are two locations involved, and two machines (on my end):

Office (T1, some Cisco goodness between me and the Internet):

I can access basenji.com *intermittently* from my PowerBook (attempts to
connect failed every time until I tried the -v option, then it worked
everytime until I went home, about an hour afterwards).

 From my office I can *consistently* access my home Linux box, hanging
off a Linksys cable/dsl router - the linux box is my DMZ host.

Home (DSL, Linksys Cable/DSL router):

I can access basenji.com from a Win98 laptop running ???SSH (WinSSH? Not
sure) every time, no problems.

I can access basenji.com from a RH Linux 7.0 box every time, no problems.

I can access my home linux box from my PowerBook every time, no problems.

I can only access basenji.com from the PowerBook directly every once in
a while (out of a hundred tries (an estimate), I'd say 90-95 fail).

What kills me is that it *sometimes* works, like it is mocking me... ;^)

I guess the next useful step would be to compare ssh_config files on
basenji.com and my PowerBook...

Powerbook ssh_config:

> # Host *
> #   ForwardAgent no
> #   ForwardX11 no
> #   RhostsAuthentication no
> #   RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
> #   RSAAuthentication yes
> #   PasswordAuthentication yes
> #   FallBackToRsh no
> #   UseRsh no
> #   BatchMode no
> #   CheckHostIP yes
> #   StrictHostKeyChecking yes
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa
> #   Port 22
> #   Protocol 2,1
> #   Cipher blowfish
> #   EscapeChar ~
(note, all are commented out - defaults?)

Linux box:

> # Host *
> #   ForwardAgent yes
> #   ForwardX11 yes
> #   RhostsAuthentication yes
> #   RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
> #   RSAAuthentication yes
> #   PasswordAuthentication yes
> #   FallBackToRsh no
> #   UseRsh no
> #   BatchMode no
> #   CheckHostIP yes
> #   StrictHostKeyChecking no
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
> #   Port 22
> #   Protocol 2,1
> #   Cipher 3des
> #   EscapeChar ~
>
> # Be paranoid by default
> Host *
>         ForwardAgent no
>         ForwardX11 yes
>         FallBackToRsh no
>         Protocol 2,1
(note; Non-default options selected at bottom)

basenji.com:

> # Host *
> #   ForwardAgent no
> #   ForwardX11 no
> #   RhostsAuthentication no
> #   RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
> #   RSAAuthentication yes
> #   PasswordAuthentication yes
> #   FallBackToRsh no
> #   UseRsh no
> #   BatchMode no
> #   CheckHostIP yes
> #   StrictHostKeyChecking yes
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa
> #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa
> #   Port 22
> #   Protocol 2,1
> #   Cipher blowfish
> #   EscapeChar ~

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

On Thursday, December 27, 2001, at 04:54 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:17:08AM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
>> Thanks, should be fine - the kicker for me is the intermittent nature
>> of
>> the problem...
>
> Are you behind any kind of gateway/router/NAT box?
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> mrbill at mrbill.net