OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 26 21:33:47 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 08:44:57PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Server: no graphics card.  As of late, rackmount form-factor
> Workstation: Desktop formfactor, graphics card
>
> Used to be, the *only* difference was the presence of a graphics
> card/framebuffer.

Well, that and whether they called it the SPARCstation or the SPARCserver (the
3D workstation my school has from sun is labeled a SPARCserver 10 and it has
a ZX board).

But, what I was thinking of when saying there is virtually no difference was
the Sun Enterprise 450, which takes 3 Expert3D cards and is used for cave-esque
things apparently, for a stereo wall of up to 3840x1024.  You kinda get stiffed
on texture ram apparently.  You would think that you have 192, but it looks
like it is effectively closer to 64 (kinda like a Voodoo2 SLI claims to have
24 megs, but is functionally closer to 16).

http://www.sun.com/desktop/visualize/sunproducts.html

I wonder what the 2D GL performance is on these higher end Sun GL accelerators.

--
Joshua D. Boyd