[rescue] Re: OT Linux

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 24 12:07:27 CST 2001

On December 24, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> In one interview, Darryl Strauss of Titanic fame was commenting that he had NFS
> trouble with linux on the film production.  Something about an SGI crashing,
> and thus required restarting the NFS daemons on all the linux machines.  Sounds
> icky to me.  Personally, I find NFS on any platform to be painfull (although
> I've only used it with NetBSD and Linux so far).

  NFS under Linux and SunOS4 is pretty painful, but I've had good
results with it on a bunch of other platforms.  The NFS implementation
as a whole under Linux is just generally crappy, and SunOS4's
rpc.mountd is chock full o' bugs.  I've never had NFS under NetBSD
even so much as burp, and I use it every day.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire