[rescue] Re: OT Linux

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 24 11:10:51 CST 2001

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 12:01:42PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>In one interview, Darryl Strauss of Titanic fame was commenting that he had NFS
>trouble with linux on the film production.  Something about an SGI crashing,
>and thus required restarting the NFS daemons on all the linux machines.  Sounds
>icky to me.  Personally, I find NFS on any platform to be painfull (although
>I've only used it with NetBSD and Linux so far).

You think thats bad.. I once worked at a company that had the following mix
of platforms, which all had to be able to work together, where someone could
log into ANY machine, and then "cd /net/<othermachine>/<login>" and get to
their files on the other box, via amd:

	- HP-UX 10.20, on 9000/7xx and Bxxx/Cxxx systems
	- IRIX 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x on Indigo R3Ks, Indys, Indigo2s, and a O2K
	- Linux (RedHat 4.x, 5.x)

Took me about a week to get everything working properly. *shudder*

This was 1998 or so.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford