[rescue] Re: OT Linux

Big Endian rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 23 23:40:28 CST 2001

>On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 07:07:39PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
>>  Oracle works for SHIT on linux/intel.  It is SO MOTHER FUCKING PICKY!!!
>>
>>  </rant>
>
>Then don't user Oracle.  How tough is that?

3 years of specialty written SQL, thousands of lines of it scattered
in a HUGE system.  We're working with <huge net company> to run our
code on their servers.  Their databases are Sybase.  Its taken
us >6months just to build a *TRANSLATION* layer that intercepts the
SQL and makes it work with Sybase.  Its taken almost 6 months to
complete and test *JUST* the translator, thats the only difference.

>You can get 90% of what Oracle does with Postgres, for free.

I can also get a LOT of things from free software but not here.  If
it were my decision we wouldn't be running most of the commercial
software we run.  I don't make that decision.  The VP of the
department makes those decisions.  He's a suit, and a bad one at
that.  Btw, for anybody using wusage 8 it *SILENTLY* inserts a
cronjob to update itself.  Things like that make me hate closed
software.

>  > >I can't say anything about heavy loads, obviously, but I have several
>>  >boxes that everyone in my office depends on daily. I get very few
>>  >complaints.
>>
>>  All my DB boxes are linux/intel, over my (quite loud) objections.
>>  This is a 500k database driven email/day site.
>
>You should be able to do this with ONE recent x86 box.  Plus another
>box to do nothing but handle the email sending and receiving.

Did I mention that all these messages are created from database
driven dynamic webpages? We have various mail boxen for various
tasks, each optimized for a different situation.  Not all of our mail
works the same way.  Most of these boxen are 500 -750 dual P3 boxen
w/ 1gb or 4gb (main db) of ram.

>Maybe your data model sucks.  Maybe you aren't using bind variables
>properly.

I don't have a very high opinion of the DBAs and those decisions
aren't made by me.

>Seriously, it should not be a problem.

Dude, if my opinion were worth a damn there it wouldn't be.  There
are SHITLOADS of things wrong that I've been working for almost a
year now to fix.  Its why I was hired but the people who hired me
don't seem to understand that.  I've been denied almost EVERY SINGLE
THING that we need to fix.  We recently bought a new linux DB box.  I
made a HUGE fuss about buying an E450 for the job.  The DBAs shot
that down because they thought that solaris was too big of a pain.
The only thing they *EVER* do in a shell is uptime, vi, top and w.
The cost of a used 450 would have been about the same too.   There's
a reason its a rant.

daniel