OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Jochen Kunz rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 23 05:33:58 CST 2001

On 2001.12.23 05:58 Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 08:41:55PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> > I son't ever recall having a plug & play IRQ conflict in a Sun box.
> > Actually, I don't think I've *ever* had any kind of IRQ conflict in
> > a Sun box.
... or a TurboChannel PMax or Alpha, or in a Mac, or in a (MCA) RS6k,

> > Maybe a difference in architecture... ;)
That _is_ the difference in architecture. :-)

> On a side note, do ISA Alphas ever have IRQ conflicts?
AFAIK yes. There where some problem reports on the NetBSD port-alpha
list due to a messed up ISACFG in the SRM...

> What about Indigo 2 (since they have EISA slots)?
Don't know. When I pluged the EISA FastEthernet card in my Indigo2,
everything was configured automagicly.

> On a related note, you shouldn't have IRQ conflicts anymore if you use
> all PCI systems. Sometimes you might run into IRQ related wierdness
> (which to my understanding is always the fault of one of the cards
> involved, not the motherboards, and certainly not the CPUs).
This is the point. There are too much faulty components in the PeeCee
market and too much legacy stuff that disturbs the new stuff like PCI.
(COM, LPT, keyboard, ... ports are still maped to ISA for
compatibility.)
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen