OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 22 22:58:16 CST 2001

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 08:41:55PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> I son't ever recall having a plug & play IRQ conflict in a Sun box.
> Actually, I don't think I've *ever* had any kind of IRQ conflict in a
> Sun box.
>
> Maybe a difference in architecture... ;)

At this point, I chime in with how come.  Do Suns do away with IRQs altogether
(I don't see how they can), or do they just have too many IRQs available?  I
suspect that the lack of IRQ problems is do to the sun motherboard and boot
process design, as opposed to the superiority of the SPARC chip.

On a side note, do ISA Alphas ever have IRQ conflicts?  What about Indigo 2
(since they have EISA slots)?

On a related note, you shouldn't have IRQ conflicts anymore if you use all PCI
systems.  Sometimes you might run into IRQ related wierdness (which to my
understanding is always the fault of one of the cards involved, not the
motherboards, and certainly not the CPUs).

--
Joshua D. Boyd