[rescue] Re: OT Linux

Chris Kennedy rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 21 10:21:14 CST 2001

James Fog wrote:

> We are moving away from Sun/Solaris toward Defiant/Intel.

Our customer base isn't yet terribly accepting of Linux
(and to be honest, we're still having problems with it
at times), so we've migrated from SPARK/Solaris to
X86/Solaris.  We get to use commodity hardware (that
smokes the doors off order-of-magnitude more expensive
hardware from Sun), and when the stuff breaks it's
trivial to fix (and painless to toss). The customer
base is happy, but still somewhat slack-jawed about
the price difference when we tell them that we've
cut hardware costs from $100K to $5 - $10K...

Granted, we've got a bunch of technology under our apps
that allows us to scale simply by throwing more boxes
into the mix.  If we were doing something that required
being tightly coupled we'd be back in the high-rent
district simply because there aren't a lot of X86
options once you get past about four processors.

--
Chris Kennedy
chris at mainecoon.com
http://www.mainecoon.com
PGP fingerprint: 4E99 10B6 7253 B048 6685  6CBC 55E1 20A3 108D AB97