[rescue] Re: OT Linux

Fogg, James rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 21 09:40:38 CST 2001

Maybe I should duck and run, but.....

My company has written a new apache embedded parser that will run on any
*nix O/S. Our old Netscape server/parser required Solaris. We are moving
away from Sun/Solaris toward Debian/Intel. We have 3 quick single processor
VALinux boxen doing the work of 4 E420's for way less money. It has been
running well for us, and has given us less trouble than the Sun solution
(note, this is partly a software quality issue too). We take millions of
hits per day and deliver millions of maps/driving directions per day, so I
would call that "production". We have found Linux to be *very* ready for
prime time, if the software is *well* written. In this day and age, we find
that Sun's support is unnecessary. If a Lintel box pukes, yank it and throw
it away. We use load balancers everywhere, so any box (or multiple boxes)
can go crispy and it doesn't matter.