[rescue] Re: OT Linux

Steve Sandau rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 21 10:13:22 CST 2001

I have several slackware linux servers running mail, DNS, LDAP, NTP,
Samba, firewall, VPN and web services for an office of 40 or people.
It's all been working just fine for several years (yes, several!).
Lightweight Oracle works OK, too. It's also what I use for several
workstations, including burning CDs.

I can't say anything about heavy loads, obviously, but I have several
boxes that everyone in my office depends on daily. I get very few
complaints.

The Navy office where we work sometimes had us set up a Linux box for a
Paradox database app, because it ran so dismally slow on NT. Linux and
Samba proved to be very reliable for the 100+ users.

I would definitely choose Solaris for a heavy-duty database app; we put
the Navy Oracle server on an E450 running Solaris... But I would
describe Linux as quite ready for prime time in any small office...