[rescue] What am I worth in America ?

R. Lonstein rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 16 18:57:04 CST 2001

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 10:48:04PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Jeez, you didn't drive/ride the bus from Jim Thorpe PA to
> NYC did you? ;^)

No, but (having consulted a map) it was about that far. I was living in
northern Dutchess county.

> I had a boss in Manhattan that lived near Woodstock, NY
> and drove about 30-40 minutes to a train station, took the
    [snip]

He probably drove to Rhinecliff, on the other side of the Hudson River
from Kingston. It's the only Amtrak station nearby. I would take that
train when I didn't have to make excursions from Lower Manhattan into
NJ, CT and up into Westchester. On a given day, I had often been to all
four. This was particularly true when the other two guys (covering NJ
and CT) bailed.

They reimbursed me for the tolls and mileage and, to keep me from
balking, offered up covering my car payment and part of my insurance.
Yes, it was my own car. No, they didn't have a company car. Yes, I drove
a lot- 60,000 miles in about 6 months, including the commute. Yes, I was
young and inexperienced. No, I wasn't either for long- I got experience
on everything imaginable in a financial institution setting.
Doing break-fix sucks...

> But it can be a nice place to visit, briefly - best done
> on someone elses dime too. ;^)

Hey! Don't knock my adopted city! :)

- Ross