[rescue] SGI Indy for $25?

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 12:13:44 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 06:07:50PM +0000, wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Checking the web page for my local U surplus pit tomorrow, I see that they have
> listed SGI Indy $25. No specs. Is this a workable option for someone to scarf
> up a basic SGI for learning purposes?

That is a good deal, unless it has been stripped of ram, harddrive, video, and
CPU. If it has three of those items, I'd say go for it if you want an SGI.
Indys should be fine for 2D work, and with the right board, reasonable for low
end 3D work.

Things to consider:
1) If you have less than 128megs of ram, plan on running Irix 5.3 instead
        of 6.
2) If you have less than an r4.4k (and the r4.6k is less), then consider Irix
	6.2 instead of 6.4.
3) The best video card is the XZ, and they are affordable on ebay, but for the
	price of upgrading memory and the XZ, you probably could have bought a
	far better Indigo 2.

--
Joshua D. Boyd